Trump Ends U.S Funding Of World Health Organization
Just as he threatened last week, and was threatened back with "body bags," President Trump tonight confirmed he will halt US funding for The World Health Organization, while US reviews virus warnings regarding China.
"The reality is the WHO failed to obtain, vet and share information in a timely fashion," Trump said Tuesday at a White House press conference.
"The WHO failed in its basic duty and must be held accountable."
"Tremendous amounts of time" were "lost" due to what Mr Trump called the WHO's slowness.
Trump is explaining his reasoning at today's press conference:
Additionally, Trump accused the world body of "mismanaging" and "covering up" the coronavirus, and failing to obatin timely information on the virus, causing a 20-fold increase in deaths around the world:
"So much death was caused by the WHO mistakes..."
Trump criticized the international agency’s response to the outbreak, saying:
“one of the most dangerous and costly decisions from the WHO was its disastrous decision to oppose travel restrictions from China and other nations.”
“Fortunately, I was not convinced and suspended travel from China saving untold numbers of lives,” he said.PresidentTrump said his administration plans to redirect dollars meant for the WHO to work with countries on health issues "in other ways."
WHO Director-General Tedros Ahanom Ghebreyesus also opposed Trump's late-January travel ban, saying "We reiterate our call to all countries not to impose restrictions that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade. Such restrictions can have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit."
The US has contributed approximately $893 million to the WHO's operations during the last two years, according to the organisation, while China has contributed around $86 million.